Tuesday, June 29, 2010

UFO Guilt

Lately, as I've been knitting, I've been having this nagging feeling of unease and guilt. Not at all the sort of feelings you want to be having when you are engaged in your favorite craft. In trying to figure out why this was happening, I realized it is because I keep starting new projects while never finishing the old ones.

I took an inventory today to see just how bad things had gotten and realized I have a whopping seven projects on the needles with no end in sight for any of them!!

First up are the Mountain Socks. That project is so old, I don't even know when I started it...which means in truth I equally have no idea when I am going to get around to finishing it!

There's the Brioche Cardi that is a "new" design I am working on. I like the sweater, but I've been laboring over it for months now, trying to get the design just right. Besides, who wants to knit a sweater in the summer? So, I'm taking a break.

Then, there's the Shoe Rug. When we come in from the garage, we have this rug that is just a little bit too thick. So, it always gets caught in the door, which drives me crazy (I know, it's weird, but it bugs me because I always have to straighten it out...) I'm making this Shoe Rug in the hopes that it will work out a bit better. Problem is: I don't think it actually will...hence the hibernation on this project...

Next up, Spiral Rib socks. Gorgeous green yarn from last summer's Sock Summit. I love the yarn, but the socks are too big. Basically, I have just been too lazy to rip out the project (and too horrified at the thought of all that wasted time with those tiny stiches and teensy needles...)

I almost forgot the Lace Ribbon Scarf. That one is curious, because I haven't even *started* that project, but for some reason, my Ravelry project page says I'm at 5%...was that wishful thinking on my part?

Then, there's the Entrelac Scarf... I've always wanted to try Entrelac and my mom bought me some really nice Noro yarn from her LYS. So, I immediately started on that project, but it too is hibernating, only because I got distracted by my next project...

Honeycomb Waves! This is the one that is "most currently"
on the needles, meaning I haven't started a new project since I began that one. (Actually, that's not quite true...I did start and finish a little cozy for my iPod Touch yesterday, but we don't have to dwell on that.) I feel committed to this project, although I know eventually I am going to have to sew the pieces of the blanket together, and darn it -- I am a knitter, not a seamstress, for a reason. I hate to sew!

So, where to go from here? Should I buckle down and actually finish these projects? Should I commit to "no new projects" until the UFOs are completed? Or, should I compromise? Say, one new project for each old one completed??

In the end, I know myself, and I will just continue on my merry way starting new projects when I feel like it and completing my old ones all in good time (or not).

After all, isn't that the point of a hobby? I mean, this isn't my job or anything! No one cares if I finish these things (or not)! How bad is it, when even your hobbies start making you feel guilty??

So, my commitment to myself is: no more guilt over those UnFinished Objects!!

But, I do need to buy some more Ziploc bags to hold them all...

No comments:

Post a Comment